Thursday, November 27, 2014

BOOK REVIEW: Quest by Aaron Becker

Wordless books are boundless.  They have no text and hence are in no particular language, besides, of course, the language of art.  The illustrations say it all.  And that’s the beauty of wordless picture books!  There are no words laying out the story to the audience.  The story is purely guided by the reader’s interpretation of the illustrations.

When I read Aaron Becker's picture book, ‘Journey’, I was amazed that an adventure story had been visualized and rendered so beautifully as a wordless picture book!

So imagine my joy when I learned that it was part of a trilogy!  When I laid my hands on the second book, at first I excitedly sifted through a few pages, then shut it.  I decided that to do justice to the book, I must look through it in a relaxed manner, relishing and drinking in each detail of every illustration, in order to truly experience the adventure.

In ‘Quest’, Mr. Becker takes us on yet another thrilling ride.  The story continues where it left off in the end of the first book – the lonely girl with her red marker befriends a boy with a purple marker!  The two embark on an adventure filled with mystery and excitement. 

A king appears suddenly and hands them a mysterious map before getting captured by enemy soliders.  It is up to the twosome to work together to unravel the mystery of the map and rescue the king.  

And as they do, they are pursued in their ‘quest’ by the king’s enemies who try to stop them to seize the magical treasure they have discovered.

The story ends with a clue about where the next adventure will lead us (the last book of the trilogy).  I am already looking forward to it!

Appropriate for children ages 6+ as well as adventure loving grown-ups!

No comments:

Post a Comment